The 500 Words A Day Challenge (500WADC)

It's been a while now since I wrote a post on this blog. I may have ignored my blog on the pretext of lack of time, but it's more about the lack of motivation to find time to write. That is not to say that I don't write at all, in fact I'm pretty sure I write somewhere close to 1000 words per week (discounting the weekends of the course) including the blog posts that I write for Classof1, the emails, the reports, the comments I leave on blogs, chatting on various social networks, texting etc.

So I want to focus the time I spend writing into creating some good blog posts, that will be useful for me to improve my writing and also lets me experiment on the marketing and design side of things. The trouble is not usually with finding something interesting to write about, blog topics I have in abundance, thanks to my life being quite interesting and also the many blogs I follow.

So I decided to take up the 500 words a day challenge, starting today. The reason for choosing the 500 words challenge is multiple. First, I've done it before. Second, I've read many people recommending writing 500 words a day. I also found that trying to write 250 words is very constraining, I just wrote the introduction for something, and BHAM!! I reached 250 words. And I usually like to set the context before writing the core idea, since it'll make it easier to write and it'll be convenient for the reader as well. Hence in this regard, the 250WADC doesn't give the space to express myself better and more clearly.

Similarly, the 1000 words challenge is not something for me, since it'll be extremely difficult to start off with 1000 words a day of formal writing, right off zero, perhaps when I'm comfortable with this 500 words a day, I may go in for the 1000 words a day challenge. Another important reason for not choosing the 1000WADC is because the ideal word count for a blog post is under 800 words, so if I write the 500 words challenge I'll be able to easily convert that to a blog post.

So believe 500 is the magic number. However I'm not going to showing off the image on my blog's homepage yet. I'll do that once I hit at least ten 500WADC posts by the end of the month. And this post starts off the proceedings on being my first post on the 500 words a day challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Categories